Monday, October 11, 2010

Nice Work If You Can Get It

I love my life.  Even I am amazed that I can say that and that statement is actually true.  I have a fulfilling job, two amazing boys and an incredible husband who loves me.  I think I have it all.  I have even had the idea that if Heaven is anything like my life, I am just fine with that for eternity. 

That isn't to say that there are times when things are less than perfect - I am normal after all.  I work for a non-profit where I hope our work makes a difference in our community, but by its very nature (it being a non-profit) there are times when it's difficult.  I work full time and throughout the year the year there are several times when I have to work evenings.  I do this gladly, but it is more than difficult knowing on a normal night, I have only three hours with my seven year old and even less with my toddler. 

These few hours are precious and more than I'd like to admit, I find myself trying to pack it all in - cooking dinner, helping with homework, bathtime and cleaning up after dinner, all before 8:30, the time my oldest boy goes to sleep.  Then, in times like this, I feel guilty because I should have spent more time with my boys. 

I think it is a farely common assumption that being a working mom - simply means that at times you feel guilty.  "I should have planned it out so that I could stay at home with my kids." "I don't have a lot of time to cook the best meals for my family."  "I should be doing more with my kids."  "I should be spending more time with my husband."  Once we decided to have kids, I was determined to be the perfect mother and wife.  I would be able to work nine to five, cook a four course dinner, get my kids to all of their after school activities - you know, music lessons, sports, boy scouts - have playtime, read them books,and, after they are sung to sleep with a lulliby, have a romantic evening with my husband.  That nightly routine is frankly not possible.  On most nights that don't include any afterschool activities, it is still a trial to get dinner on the table and the kids to bed on time.  Romantic evenings? What are those?

Being a working mom means exactly what it is - I work at a job and I work at being a good mom and wife.  It is WORK.  It is trying and tiring but rewarding and comforting.  Just like any good job, it has great pay and even better benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment